Monday, December 14, 2015

Merry Christmas 2015

I have been busy working away in the shop.  A couple of hours most days.  I did take the last weekend off.  I got back out there today and got the cabinet almost ready for finishing.  The hinges have been mortised in and that is always a big chore for me.  Even though they are small hinges I am always fretting about how they will go in and function.  They came out acceptable and they work just fine.

I did a bunch of routing with the Dremel, chamfering all the edges on the door and drawer.  Then set up the router on the table and made a shallow rabbit (rebate) on the inside to hold the mesh in place.  I have to pick up some glaziers points to hold it in, and a magnet to inset to hold the door closed.  I also got the pulls installed.  Expensive buggers they were.  I think it is worth it though.  Cheap hardware looks....well....cheap. The back is all finished and just needs final fitting and nailed into place.

I took it into the house for a quick picture.  It was raining pretty hard.  Yes, raining in the middle of December in Canada.  Weird.  I didn't put the back in place for the picture, and the mesh is just held in place with masking tape.  I used 1/4" hardware cloth for the mesh, cut on a diagonal.  It will keep the insides aired out so the scent doesn't knock you over when you open the door.

I hope I am not ruining the surprise by posting the photo, but there already has been some.



Once the finish goes on the cherry ought to darken a bit, and will continue to do so with exposure to the sun.  

I have tons of video to edit and put together of this build but I am waiting until after the holidays.  There is more of a chance for the recipient to see it there than here.  I will get more photos up after it is all finished.  There is still plenty of work to do on it.

Christmas is coming up fast.  I am going to take this time to wish you all Merry Christmas.  It is the season I grew up with and hope you all embrace the spirit of the season and what it means.  Peace on earth, good will toward man.  I am aware that there are other traditions that take place at this time of year and gladly accept the tidings of your season as readily as I am willing to bestow those of mine on you.

I am taking some time to enjoy the season, so I may or may not post for a bit.  It depends on how things go.  I will get the last photos of this project up before long though.

May the new year bring you health and happiness for you and your families.  

Thanks for dropping by

No comments:

Post a Comment