Monday, May 04, 2015

One of my favourite places to shop

So, we are getting into October of 2014 now.  I like the fall, the humidity goes away and we still have nice warm days.  All the rewards from the years work are coming to light.  Harvest.

The wild apple trees readily give their bounty.



There are neat things to see all over if you stop and look.



We like going for short walks and seeing what is going on with in our little part of the world. 





Lil' Lee really enjoys going out and having a look.


You never know what you will see from day to day.







I think I may have even spied an Ent (for all you Lord of the Rings fans)



Ok, I will get back on track here.

I met a guy a few years ago, he lives about a 10 minute drive from me, and he likes old tools.  He buys and sells through shows and flea markets and it is where I got my hand planes, and a few other things from.  I felt the need for a few items, so I phoned up and asked if he would mind if I brought the camera out this time.  This is my idea of shopping.  I love to rummage around and look at cool old stuff, and he has a barn full.  

Some braces and egg beater drills.


Saws, levels, hammers, marking gages, etc....




He has a few planes.






Some stuff has not been sorted yet, but you can pick out all kinds of cool stuff like broad axes, hollows and rounds, spoke shaves and such.






A treasure trove of cool stuff.  I could spend hours in here.







He is just a cool old dude that is retired and has a spot to sit and tinker on what he loves.  He goes to a few different shows and flea markets during the year, just enough to keep him busy.  Oh! here is a piece of trivia for you.............the handle on a hand plane, the tote.......some folks insist it be called a tote.......well, what does Stanley, the renowned maker say?


I think that is hilarious!  Maybe I have a weird sense of humour!

So, I went there to get some things, and I brought home more than what I intended to get, which is not surprising.  

What did I bring home?


The saw is for the steel.  I need to have a saw plate for the kerfing plane.  

I was looking for a shoulder plane and I found the Stanley 192.  I am not totally happy with it.  It is finicky to adjust, all with hammer taps.  Once you get it, it works well, but it is a bear to get it all set right.  

I was looking for the egg beater drill too.  

The rest kind of followed me home.  The bits for the brace and the counter sink bits were a nice find (for some reason there seems to be a shortage of 3/4" brace bits in this part of the world) and I just had to have the mallet the second I laid eyes on it.  I don't know why.  The marking gage, well, you can never have too many of them, and this one has double pins to mark mortices and tenons with.  

So, that was my big shopping trip.  I have to go see him again soon.  I want a slick for timber framing (the 6x6's for the shop build) and I am thinking of a Stanley #45.  He has a couple there with all the blades and I think it would be neat to have.  I have been thinking of hollows and rounds too, but that may be a rabbit hole best left unexplored for now. 

Well, when I started writing I thought I would get to the part where I put the blade in the kerfing plane, but that will wait until next time I suppose.  This one is getting long, so until next time,

Thanks for dropping in!






No comments:

Post a Comment