Monday, April 13, 2015

I surprised myself

I went out this morning, encouraged by the progress I made on the saw bench yesterday.  I finished up the short stretchers and got all the mortices and tenons cut.  So I decided to go with a single long stretcher in the middle with a tenon into the short stretchers.  I had to cut that twice.  I messed up the first one, good thing I had an extra piece the right size on hand.  I had originally planned on 2 long stretchers.  So the second long stretcher worked out after some fiddling with it.  I have a love hate relationship with my Stanley 192 shoulder plane.  When you  get it set, it is OK, but getting it there is quite the chore.  I am thinking that this plane is not a keeper.

Anyway, the weather is coming in.  April showers and all that, but it is warm and I have all my joinery done.  The only thing left to do is to cut all the legs to length, and that is just as easily done after assembly.  So I glued up the leg assembly!  I fits together pretty well and is sitting in the mortices in the top unglued.




Coming together a little quicker than I expected, and that is a good thing!  I will enjoy having 2 of these benches when I start working on the 6 x 6 pressure treated timbers that the shop will sit on.

Until next time, thanks for dropping in!

No comments:

Post a Comment